Grab provides transportation booking service for taxis, private cars and motorbikes and food delivery service. The redesign concept tries to solve the issues about interaction and visual design of current version. The information architecture is reorganized and user flow is adjusted to make sure the app easy to use. The visual of the app is also redesigned to keep design language consistent and modern.
• • • • • •
After the redesign was done, I found it was not faultless. I redesigned it only from the perspective of UI design, but I forgot to keep user scenario in my mind when I designed it. For example, if a user just get off work and want to go home by book a ride, and meanwhile he also would like order something to eat at home. How can the app help him? So I should list some of scenerio at first and then review the design through those scenerio to check if the user flow make scense.
It's a practice for one week. That is also the reason why I did not think deeper enough.
I tried to find the usability issues including aspects of information architecture and visual components and then proposed potential solutions.
Users can enter their destination to book a ride or swipe up/ tap the bottom sheet of GrabEat to view the list of food they may be interested.
List the resturants or cafe you may be interested or currently popular in your region according to different meal time. Resutrants are also classified into different categories that help users easily find what kind of food they want to eat
We guide users to book a ride step by step. Users enter the destination first, and then the pick-up location, which user current location spot used as default but it can be modified. Users also can select a spot on the map if they can not type the place name.
After pick-up and drop-down locations are confirmed, the route, waiting time, ways of transportation and their fee are shown and users can book a ride according to their preference.
Using Principle as a prototyping tool to design the transitions and communicate the user flow.
Keep trying other possible solutions and design
1. Stay in the same page which users are familar with after two spots are assigned.
2. Able to know default pick-up spot.
3. More space for location list.
4. Hide the unnecessary text fields in default (expandable panel).
5. Easy for users to compare the fee without tapping.
1. More steps to go back orginal status or go to GrabEat after two spots are assigned.
1. One tap to select my current location.
2. The expandable panel of riding types provides flexibiliy to add more ways and detailed info.
3. GrabEat has space for event promotion.
1. Swipe guesture conflict: move map v.s. switch tab.
2. Unable to know what riding types can choose before taping the collasped panel.